Saturday, July 10, 2010

Hollywood Museum - Marilyn Remembered



During my most recent trip to Los Angeles, I decided that I would not skip going to the Hollywood/Max Factor Museum.  I decided that I needed to learn a little more of makeup history.  I paid the $15 entrance fee to take the museum tour.  I was joined by my sister Janice and fellow makeup artist friend, CJ (Chawana Jones).  We started on the top floor of the museum where there was a fabulous tribute to Ms. Marilyn Monroe.  Unfortunately, you can't take photos inside the museum, so I dont have any to share, but, I was able to get some information on her beautiful gowns that she wore in some of her films as well as some info on personal items, such as hotel expenses and pharmacy receipts.  Looking at how well her items were preserved, I often felt like I lived in the time period that Marilyn lived in. Hopefully from reading about some of them, you will feel the same (just for fun anyway). 

* One  of Marilyn's makeup artists were: George Masters 
* Some of Marilyn's items in the display were: Marilyn's green gown designed by Costume designer William 'Billy' Travilla  for 'No Business Like Show Business', a pill bottle found beside her bed after her death
(prescription for Hydrodyurdyl), personal eye drops issued by Schwab Pharmacy,and a personal invoice for prescriptions.

* Marilyn's favorite makeup/beauty products were Erno Laszlo.  The Laszlo products on display at the museum were
Erno Laslo Face powder, EL foundation, EL cream (which was found under her nails at the time of her death), EL blush cream, EL fluid, Elizabeth Arden eyebrow pencil in dark brown, and a Helena Rubinstein Mascara wand.  For more info on Marilyn's Erno Lazslo collection, check out The Marilyn Monroe collection.

No comments: